Fly High Cheer and Tumble has compiled a staff rich in experience, diversity and versatility so that its athletes will receive the best instruction possible. Fly High’s staff is also available for one-on-one instruction; please contact the gym FlyHighCheerandTumble.com or 585-317-1442) for more details.
Position: Owner, Coach
As a military spouse who has lived in many places in the United States and internationally, coach Andrea has volunteered, coached and directed various cheerleading programs for over 20 years.
Many families local to Dover, Delaware may already know Andrea from her volunteer work within local organizations/programs.
In February 2019, Andrea and her husband, David, opened Fly High Cheer and Tumble, LLC. The business is a family blend of unmatched coaching experience steeped in the values of integrity, service and excellence, which the owners embrace after living and learning alongside Air Force families for over 20 years.
While fielding various levels of competitive all-star cheer teams in Fly High’s inaugural competition season, Andrea also has a passionate goal to help area schools throughout Delaware and the tri-state area grow to have stronger, more competitive programs by:
- stressing the importance of safety in the sport of cheerleading;
- learning proper techniques;
- learning proper progression (no advancement without completing all skills within each respective skill level); and
- teaching the fundamentals of cheer, stunting and tumbling.
Andrea’s coaching experience and credentials
- Coached throughout the U.S. and Europe for 23 years.
- Coached recreation, middle and high school, college, competitive and all-star teams.
- 2016-2018 coached Team Italy for the 2018 International Worlds.
- International Cheer Union, Levels 1-6 (advanced and premier)
- USASF (US All Star Federation), Levels 1-7 (stunting and tumbling)
- NFSHSA (The National Federation of State High School Association)
- AACCA (The American Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Administrators)
- USA CHEER credentialed
- AED, CPR and First Aid
- Safesport trained
- Darkness to Light certified
- USASF, Regional Advisory Board, Northeast (2019-2020)
Position: Gym Director, Cheer coach
When Coach Michaella is not at Fly High she is a middle school math teacher for Lake Forest School District. Alongside teaching, she is also going on her third season as a coach for the Chipman Middle School Competitive cheerleading team.
Coach Michaella was a competitive gymnast before becoming a cheerleader. She has traveled all over the U.S and even outside of the country to compete, and her last season was in 2014. Since 2013, she has been coaching competitive gymnastics 2013 and was USAG certified every year since then. She stopped coaching gymnastics in 2019 when she moved to coach cheerleading and is excited to be continuing this journey.
- All-Star Cheerleader from 2010-2014
- 4 years competing at Cheerleading Worlds, placed 3rd in 2014
- Maryland Twisters F5 2013-2014
Position: Cheer Director, Coach and Tumble Instructor
When coach Sam is not at the gym, she is a stay-at-home mom enjoying her two young daughters and husband. Before splitting her time between the gym and home, Sam was an educator for special needs students for nine (9) years.
Coach Sam has been coaching in the all star world for 12 years. As the recipient of numerous state, local and National championships, Coach Sam has also assisted many of her athletes with winning DCCA college scholarships throughout the years.
“Cheerleading is my passion. I love spending every moment with my athletes and watching them grow every day. I can not wait for our athletes to fly high!” Neither can we, coach Sam; welcome to the Fly High family!
- Pop Warner
- Allstar cheer since the age of 5
- Varsity cheerleader at Bel Air High School (the competition squad won numerous state, regional and national championships)
- Wesley College
- Pro Bowl (Hawaii, 2002)
Coaching experience (12 years as a Head Coach):
- Capital Cheer Elite Allstar Academy – Head Coach and tumbling instructor (Senior 3 and Senior 4)
- Delaware Edge – Head Coach and tumbling instructor (Junior 3, Senior 3, Senior 4)
- Delaware Diamond All Stars – Former Owner and coach (levels 1-5)
- Stick It! Gymnastics – tumbling coach (levels 1-5)
- Galaxy All Stars – Former Owner and coach (levels 1-5)
- Caesar Rodney High School (2011)
- Wesley College (2012)
- Numerous high schools
- USASF Credentialed (levels 1-5)
- USASF Greenlight Background checked through 2020
- Member, Delaware Cheerleading Coaches Association (DCCA)
- AED/CPR/First Aid certified
- Concussion Certified
- SafeSport trained
Position: Administrative Assistant
Shelby’s joy for cheer and dance started at the age of 6 when she competed in dance for 9 years. She did not compete in the cheer world until she attended college at Charleston Southern University where she cheered for 1 year.
When Shelby is not in the gym, she is a Para-Professional for the Dover School District working with children with Special Needs. She also is a mom of a 5 year old, and a military spouse for 7 years. Shelby has 4 dogs, Rosa, Liebe, Maggie, and Presley and if she could she would have more. Shelby looks forward to continuing her journey at Fly High and watching it grow.
- Competitive dance : Ages 6-15
- Charleston Southern University – 2012-2013
I first fell in love with cheerleading as a child in New York. Nine years ago I started my journey as a cheerleading coach, and I have enjoyed every moment of it. When I am not coaching, I am working as a Software Engineer in North Wilmington or spending quality time with my daughters.
- Roosevelt High School Varsity
- Kips Bay Recreational Cheer
- Capital Cheer Elite – Head Coach Junior 1, Assistant Coach Senior 2
- Appo Jags Youth Cheer – Head Coach Mini 1, Junior 2 and Senior 2
- Thomas C Giordano Middle School – Student/Jr. Coach Middle School Cheer team
- USASF Credentialed levels 1-2 (Stunting, Tumbling)
- Greenlight Background Check 2020
- Concussion Certified
Position: Coach (Recruits), Assistant Coach (Lieutenants)
Annette Berry coached for the 2019-2020 season as Head Coach of the Recruits and the Assistant Coach of Fly High’s first undefeated Team, the “Lieutenants”. She looks forward to continuing for the 2020-2021 season with the Recruits.
Annette Berry has also coached Jr. Peewee Level 1 Medium Pop Warner Cheer. These athletes won 1st place at the Cape Henlopen Championship and placing 13/27 at the Northeast Regional Championship.
Annette is an Army wife and spends her free at home, mothering her 6 children.
During her time in the United States Navy as a Reservist 2007-current, she received first aid training and holds a current CPR qualification.
- Jr. PeeWee Level 1 Medium Pop Warner.
- Fly High 2019-2020
When referring to her athletes, Annette’s favorite mottos are “Don’t cheat yourself, treat yourself” and “practice like you perform.”
- USASF Greenlight Background checked
- Concussion Certified
- CPR Certified
- Attended Varsity University
Position: Instructor, Strength and Fitness
Melanie has been a vibrant part of the local fitness community for over 15 years as a former gym owner, Crossfitter, and current group fitness instructor for MOMentum Fitness Delaware.
After obtaining her degree in Public Relations from the University of Pittsburgh, Melanie worked as a corporate event planner for a corporation and later opened her own business, R.S.V.P. Meeting and Event Planning. Motherhood came knocking and Melanie took a respite from the corporate world to focus on the one of the hardest jobs there is…raising well-adjusted human beings.
As a wife and mother of three, Melanie understands the challenges unique to working and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Melanie’s goal is to foster an atmosphere of self-discovery, personal growth, and good ole fashioned fun, both in her personal fitness ventures as well as in her instruction.
- Public Relations, University of Pittsburgh
- Melanie is currently pursuing her 200-hour Vinyasa teacher training
Position: Strength and Conditioning, Coach
Matt has been part of the fitness community for over 20 years in the capacity of a personal trainer, competitor, gym member, and CrossFit trainer. Matt has been a Crossfit Level 1 Trainer for 10 years. He has had his personal training certificate for 18 years, and is enthusiastic about working with children and adults. He uses his career as an elementary school teacher to get the youth excited about getting fit. Having 2 children of his own he knows how to relate and motivate young athletes in a fun and challenging way.
- B.A. in Elementary Education
- M. Ed in Elementary Education specializing in Special Education
- Personal Training certificate from AAPT
- Level 1 Crossfit trainer
- Crossfit Kids Certified